Saturday, June 5, 2010

Wow! Has it really been that long!

Sorry, guys!  Life has certainly gotten in the way of my blogging...
I will fill you in very soon but for now, I am making this offering.  My new found friend, Korky, requested that I post my hummus recipe.  I have been making a lot of it recently and it is the time of year for it. 
Ummm...when ISN'T it the time for hummus?  That's what I'd like to know.
Anywho...here it is.

TRADITIONAL HUMMUS
1 - 16 oz. can garbanzo beans (I use Bush's), drained and rinsed well
1 tbsp ground cumin
pinch of cayenne (I use more, closer to 1/4 tsp)
4 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
3/8 cup tahini (be sure it is well stirred) thoroughly mixed with 2 tbsp olive oil

In a food processor, place garbanzo beans, garlic and spices.  Puree and then scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Add lemon juice and process again, scraping down after.  With processor running, slowly pour tahini and olive oil mixture through the feeder tube and process until the mixture is smooth without lumps.
The hummus is ready to eat but it is better if you let the flavors meld for a few hours in the refrigerator.  When ready to serve, take hummus out of the fridge for at least 1/2 hour so it is not really cold.
Serve with fresh vegetables (I love it with red bell peppers and grape tomatoes) and crostini.
My recipe is heavy on the seasoning because I like it that way.  Feel free to cut back on the spices.

I hope you enjoy this recipe!
Be back soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment