Sunday, May 5, 2013

Limping along...

Between the crazy weather and some critter with a need to  maim my tomato plants, it's amazing to me that the garden is surviving at all.  I was so excited to have these beautiful little heirloom plants but they have hardly been given a chance.  This one on the left was cut off at the ground and this other one had a branch torn off.  Then they're just left there.  The thing is not eating the plant and it is only disturbing a few...not all of them.  What is up with this?!  I'm not able to catch it so I don't know what is doing these dastardly deeds but this is beyond annoying...this is starting to piss me off.
And, now it is Cinco de Mayo.  We are in to the first week in May.  Do you think we could work on some Springtime temperatures?  Please, God!?
But you know me, it doesn't take me long to get positive because negative just uses soooo much stupid energy.  Here are the bright spots!
The sugar snap peas, pumpkin hill, the peppers and the eggplants!  All are doing great.  We did some row planting last weekend and we have radishes, bok choy and arugula coming up and yes...beets, of course.  Get ready, cooking class folks!



































All of the herbs are flourishing as well so I have a lot to be thankful for!













In honor of Cinco de Mayo (if you know me, you know that I have a thing about Cinco de Mayo NOT being Mexican Independence Day but I'm being a good sport today), I am including a recipe that we made often (also if you know me, you know I married into a Mexican family but that's another story).  It is different from a lot of ceviche recipes that you will see because we add ketchup.  It gives it a sweetness that you can't duplicate with a regular sugar and the dish needs it for balance.  I hope you try it.  It's a great summer appetizer...if summer ever gets here!


Ceviche

Serves 8

2 lb large shrimp, 26 – 30 count
3 large limes, juiced
1 small red onion, finely chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
1 jalapeno pepper, finely chopped
½ bunch cilantro, chopped
3 tbsp ketchup
1 – 2 tsp Sriracha
1 tablespoon kosher salt
1 avocado, chopped

Poach shrimp in boiling salted water for one minute.  Remove and cool in an ice water bath. 
Chop shrimp into ½” inch pieces.

In a large glass or ceramic bowl, gently toss the shrimp with the lime juice.
Add in onion, tomato, jalapeno, cilantro, ketchup and Sriracha.

Cover bowl, and chill ceviche 1 hour in the refrigerator, until shrimp are opaque.  Taste for seasoning and adjust as needed.  Fold in avocado and serve with fresh tortilla chips.

If you liked this post, please share it on Facebook, Twitter or any other social media that you fancy!  

Come join the fun and take a class with us!  Visit my website at Urban Kitchen on Cherry Street and check out the Class Calendar.

And, I'd love to hear from you so leave me a comment...let's have a conversation!

No comments:

Post a Comment