Monday, June 11, 2012

New additions...what?

Yes, I've been showing you how great my garden is growing and there shouldn't be anything new added but...the radish bed was empty and was looking kind of forlorn so I had to do something!  The answer was three new tomato plants and aren't they precious?  Another beefsteak, a golden heirloom and a Cherokee purple...can't wait to see that purple one! 
Farmers have rotated their crops for years and when one bed is finished, well, in goes something else.  That way you have veggies coming up all summer and into the fall.  So we'll have some late summer additions coming on as well...like spinach, more arugula and cabbages.  These tomatoes will be about 2 -3 months behind their brothers and sisters that are growing like wild fire and here's the proof of that...
On the left, in the back...yes, 13 tomato plants are rocking and rolling and have green fruit and blossoms all over them.  There's going to be some serious canning going on in August! 
The bushy, low plants are carrot tops on the right...beautiful!  Then, the killer cucumber is behind them crawling up the fence after latching on to two trellises that we put up on Saturday.  And, yes, I admit I didn't listen to my guy who said that I would need a lot more trellis than the cute little ladder that I bought initially.  In fact, you can't even see the ladder anymore or how cute it is. It may have been eaten, who knows?  I see cucumber pickling in my future as well.  But all is not well in the little garden in spite of Hooty watching over the proceedings.  Critters in the form of bunny rabbits are picking and choosing which close to ground treats they want.  They've tried some of the Roma tomatoes but I think the skin is so tough even the rabbits don't like them.  They've eaten the tops of some of my beets and are obviously skipping through the beds, apparently trying to decide what to eat next.  I guess I'm going to have to get some rubber snakes since Hooty can't seem to handle the job.  Just so you don't think I'm making this up, I came across this guy as I was walking out to the garden this morning. 
I know, I know he looks cute but don't let that fool you!  He and his family will ravage your garden in a heartbeat!  No, I won't do anything mean to him, other than shoo him away when I catch him but I am going to try some of that liquid, invisible fence or whatever it's called and see if between that and the rubber snakes I can keep Peter, Flopsy, Mopsy and Cottontail at bay!  Next week, we'll take a closer look at the carrots and the beets, have a tomato update and another peek at that killer cuke!

No comments:

Post a Comment